Sunday, September 20, 2015

GENERAL: GOODWILL and THRIFT STORES. What to buy where


I have recently been to a bunch of local thrift stores and Goodwill (currently in Seneca SC) and have a few things to note that maybe of help to other shoppers.

1.  Goodwill seem to be cheaper on stuffed animals and beanie babies.  This one has them all for 50 cents.  I was able to find quite a few NWT.

2.  DO NOT buy pillow cases at Goodwill (for pillow case dresses, drawstring bags, and small doll baby quilts).  They charge way too much, generally $1.  At the Salvation Army, I got for 12.5 cents each and at another local store, 50 cents each).

3.  This local Goodwill has the color of the week tag for 50 cents each on Sunday.  I bought men's shirts to make aprons.

4.  If you are lucky enough to live in locations that have the clearance stores (Columbia and Charleston SC, not Atlanta area), you can get great items by the pound.  I look for tote bags etc, many are new and no one else seems to go for them.  It can be a 'scary' place to the uninitiated.  Warning:  get out of the way when handbag and shoe bins get brought to the floor!  Women are vicious.  You can't beat the bargains at $1 or so a pound.

I don't get to them often.  If you have a teacher in your life, you can get great deals on kids books for their classroom.

5.  Tote bags. Except for above, don't buy at Goodwill as they are too expensive.  I found a brand new oilcloth tote in a cute print this week for 25 cents at a local thrift store. They had tons of the non woven grocery store type bags for 25 cents too.  At this price, it is certainly a time saver instead of sewing.

6.  Sewing Notions and Trim.  I can usually find little baggies of trims, ric rac, lace etc at the Thrift Stores.  In Seneca, the Habitat for Humanity Resale Shop always have baggies for 10 cents.  It maybe that it is an older demographic here.  I also found new zippers at another store for 15 cents.

I use the trims etc to go in my clothes pin doll kits.  I will be posting on this soon.


7.  Clothing.  I only buy new with tags at Thrift Stores.  I spend a little more but it is so nice to include.  I got a pile of Russell Athletics 2 button boys Henley shirts this week for $3 each, retail is usually $13.99.
8.  Ball Caps can always be found at Thrift Store, maybe not with tags but clearly new.  Love to include in older boys' boxes.


I am sure there is more to add here.  I would love to know what you find and use at Thrift Stores and Goodwill in your boxes.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment